This is the most under utilized modality in sports. Recovery is where all the good stuff happens from training and here’s why.
Recovery allows the body to:
- Increases aerobic endurance
- Balance hormonal levels
- Increases human growth hormone
- Increases strength
- Utilizes fat cells for energy
- Adaptation occurs in the exercised tissues
- Increased ability to transport and deliver Oxygen to tissues/muscles
- Restore pH balance (acid/base balance)
- Decreased inflammation in the body
- Healing from exercises induced muscle damage (normal in exercise and sport)
- Normalize energy resources
- MENTAL recovery – decrease stress response
What happens when we are NOT recovering or recovering well?
- Muscle soreness and weakness – which will affect your next workout
- Poor exercise and sport performance
- Decrease appetite which equals decrease growth and recovery
- Increased risk of infection, sickness and poor health
- Decrease quality of sleep and rest
- Gastro-intestinal abnormalities
- Increased inflammation in the body
- Mental fatigue – increase stress responses to exercise and life!